Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Alpha and Omega

The human condition, it is glorious as well as gloriously angst ridden.  We come into the world needing care, and excited family members & friends emphatically embrace us.  Then as we exit needing extensive care, and painful medical treatments, our dearest suffer as we slip away.  Hellos are so much more enjoyable than good-byes, oh the bitter-sweetness of being human. 
My father in law, almost 80 now, was skiing and playing tennis not long ago.  Right now, he rests while in pain in his bed waiting for a peaceful end to his fight with a rare infection, failing heart valve and organ function loss.  It is very unfortunate that as we age each ailment seems to have a domino effect leading to the next health challenge.
There is so much sadness in not being able to be by a loved one’s side when they pass, and yet, remembering them before their suffering may also be a relief.  My step-son that lost his real mom suddenly is very hurt not to be with his Grandpa, and this is breaking my heart too.  (Sighs) 
I try to use the cliché phrases about soon he will be free from pain, and this is for the best.  I do believe that the tears shed when someone in pain dies are for those of us that lost, not for the pained spirit freed.  Yet, there is little peace to be gained at this moment in the grief process.
Peace be with us all, and may my s-son have better coping mechanisms than I have.  J

2 comments:

  1. OH, poor Andy! Don't you hate it when they hurt and you can't make it better? That just sucks. I'm so sorry. For you, Chris, and Andy. Big hugs from over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need that wand and the time machine, then I could cure all the hurt. I miss the days when all Andy wanted was to have me read a book, or play Nintendo with him. Funny thing, I just had a tough day and HE cheered ME up. I think I have the best son EVER!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete